You never appreciate your body and your health more than after you have been sick. Recovery sparks gratitude. We realize how much we take for granted that our bodies will continue to function, and function well, day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year.
But when you’re sick, you have to stop and notice. We notice when it’s not doin’ what it’s supposed to be doin’. Yeah, then we notice big time. And we have to stop and rest. Time out to heal. And we remember how much our body does for us every minute of every day. Most of it without being asked to and without being thanked for.
So as I’m getting better today, here is a public declaration of gratitude to share:
I so appreciate:
- My breath – I take you for granted most of all for without you we are nothing and we die.
- My pulse – for keeping my blood flowing to all its body parts.
- My lungs – for being my rhythm guitar and keeping me going.
- My heart – my home base that blood flows to and through.
- My skin – my crowd control.
- My eyes – for beautiful visions.
- My nose – for thousands of scents.
- My ears – for music and voices and nature.
- My joints and parts – that keep me in motion.
- To all other body parts big and small – for sticking with me.
Thank you all for showing up today.
- * “Don’t it always seem to go, That you don’t know what you’re got til it’s gone….” ~ Joni Mitchell – Big Yellow Taxi